Wednesday 15 June 2016

A self perpetuating cycle

Evening all,

I feel like I'm harping on a bit about this but with the latest news coming from Orlando I can't help but feel I need to share my opinion. To those who haven't seen the latest, it turns out that the shooter was most likely gay, and had been frequenting the same bar the incident happened at. Now please don't take this as sympathy for the shooter, loads of people have been through similar circumstances and not walked out the other side guns blazing, but at the same time I think that society needs to at the very least take a long hard look at how we accept discrimination of the LGBT community.

Here is a man who despised who and what he was with every fibre of his being. Despised it enough that he felt the need to end a large number of people's lives with the knowledge that his would most likely end as well. The more I read and learn about this man, the more I can't help but find his story sad. Do I think he's a piece of shit? Without a doubt, but one can't help but wonder what would have happened if he would have been supported by his family rather than ostracized.

So rapist Bob Hewitt (Fuckit, the doos is no better than rapist Brock Turner) has applied for his bail to be extended so that he has time to appeal to the constitutional court for his sentence of 6 years, (yup, 6 years of his life for ruining the lives of two women, pretty fucking pathetic if you ask me). As you may have gathered from my tone, I have little sympathy for rapist Bob Hewitt, the man is a pedophile, yes I commend him for not acting out for decades but that by no stretch of the imagination excuses him for his past crimes. Let the fucker rot!

For us here in South Africa, tomorrow is a public holiday, Youth Day to be exact. The holiday is to commemorate the youth uprising that began in Soweto on the 16th of June 1976. The crux of the matter was twofold, firstly Afrikaans had just been introduced as a compulsory subject nation wide, this brought the  main reason for the uprising to boiling point, inferior education for the native black population.

The march began peacefully enough with students simply wanting to voice their grievances, however the police soon arrived and the situation was exploded into violence that lasted almost a year. The official death toll claimed that only 23 students were killed. By the time that the violence simmered down there were close on 700 people dead.

I think it's important to remember and reflect on the reasons that we have these public holidays, especially in a time where racism in South Africa seems to be rearing it's ugly head again. We as the people of South Africa need to remember the pain and suffering that racism has brought us in the past, we need to remember the brave students who gave their lives on that fateful day so that all of us could live free and happy.

Well I think that's enough rambling from me tonight, I'll leave you with a video featuring a very talented spoken word artist named Prince ea:




Please remember, I don't own the content. If you like what you watched please visit his website: http://www.princeea.com/

As always, please feel free to comment and follow, also remember to like the facebook page above.

Ta,
G

No comments:

Post a Comment